2 June 2021
This update is to provide you all with significant information with regard to our All Star Festivities.
In case you have not suitably used our handy All Star Countdown timer on this website, you may not be aware that it is only a stone’s throw away. A stone thrown directly to the date of Saturday July 10 actually. And which lands coincidentally at the Tuggeranong Basketball Stadium.
Noting the incoming nature of this stone, perhaps I could allay your fear of the unknown with some literal information, in the form of a bullet point list:
– As you would be aware, each year we proudly utilise this event as a fundraiser and donate all money raised to charity. In 2019, the event raised over $7,200 for Cancer Council ACT. In 2018, over $5,000 was raised for the Newborn Intensive Care Foundation. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, CPL was unable to hold the 2020 fundraising event.
– In 2021, the CPL has set a lofty goal of $10,000. This year, the CPL will be donating all funds raised at ‘CPL Hooping for Mental Health’ to Menslink a local charity that was established to meet the increasing needs of young men and their families in our community.
– The event will once again showcase the best of the CPL in four Divisional All Star Games, and the main event, the Canberra Legends game, pitting a proverbial bevvy of both Canberra and CPL Legends.
(All Star Representatives are currently being determined using the CPLs tried and true All Star Formula, and you would no doubt have seen some of our glorious committee members begin to confirm some attendees at last night’s round of games. Captains will be advised of players from their team who have been selected this week via email and we would appreciate your confirmation of attendance at your earliest convenience, even if you may have already done so last night in person.)
– In addition to the games, there will be silent auctions, door prizes and raffle draws in which the crowd members can win cash or prizes.
– In addition to all that (as if you even need more), it will be the grandest celebration of friendship even known to humanity.
With the nitty gritty out of the way, we have some areas we are hoping you glorious men can all help with, and share with your teams, and those areas are twofold:
The more items we have for the silent auction, the better. We have already had some incredibly generous donations this year (and years past) for the Silent Auction, but again we ask you all to delve into the dark recesses of the garage, or the back room, shoo the mice away, and dust off that item that may no longer be your treasure, but could certainly be someone else’s! Whether it’s basketball related, or just that wedding present you got and never opened, if you have items we can put on the silent auction table, please let us know. In addition to individuals’ generous offerings, we know the CPL Family has tentacles stretching further than even we know, so if your business is in a position where it can donate a voucher for service, or anything else, we would be eternally grateful. As with previous years, all businesses who provide support are acknowledged multiple times via PA system and signage displayed at the event, as well as on the CPL Facebook page, CPL Instagram and the CPL website.
We will be providing each team with a raffle book of tickets, to a) really take you back to being in year 3 and preparing for the tombola stand at the school fete and to b) mean we can all get involved. Each team will get 50 raffle tickets, and for just $5 a ticket, purchases will enter a draw to win 3 major prizes
1st prize – A kitchen package of a Hitachi fridge, Nespresso coffee machine, and a Panasonic microwave – value $1,500
2nd prize – Cash Prize – $500
3rd Prize – Voucher for $150 at a café/restaurant- TBA where
4th prize – 1 Case of Australia’s Hottest 100 beer winner – Crankshaft
Obviously it bears repeating, that all proceeds will go towards our lofty, but realistic goal of $10,000 for Menslink.
Get involved Gang! Please share with all your teams, and if you of they have any queries or ideas, please don’t hesitate to flick us an email or grab us on a Tuesday night to discuss. After the year off, let’s make the CPL All Star 21, the biggest and best yet!
Othello Von Bismarck 3rd of his name
(Matt Deady – CPL President)